Remember these from your childhood? The old fashioned Wave Maker! (or is it the Retro Wave Maker now?)
I remember my sister and I kept one in our room for years – in fact, it is probably still in there somewhere, under the layers of dirt, old notes from high school, and relics of homecoming mums… but I digress…
I decided to whip up one of these for my kids the other day. Here’s all it took:
1. Empty and wash a plastic 2 liter bottle.
2. Fill it half way with water then color with any color food coloring of your choice.
3. Fill it to the top with any kind of oil (I used recycled cooking oil from that morning, which was very thrifty, but did result in a few crusties floating around!)
4. Add some glitter sparkles (optional).
5. Hot glue the tops on (not optional unless you want a complete mess all over your floor and no lazy mom wants that!)
Their first response? It’s too heavy mom!
Not exactly the glowing accolades I was hoping for. But, never fear! A true lazy mom doesn’t give up on a good idea that easily!
I made two more, scaled down to smaller 1 liter bottles, and this time, each girl got to choose her own color. (Clever, huh?) I also found some “girly” bottles with a heart shape on them (sunflower oil bottles). The girls had fun picking the colors and the glitter sprinkles and are much happier with the end results…
So, there you have it! Cheap, easy, crafty, recycled, hours of fun for the whole family!
Don’t miss the laziness! Subscribe to I’m a Lazy Mom via reader or email today!
Or follow along with the fun on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram!